Florida law defines a catastrophic injury as a permanent impairment that seriously affects or restricts an individual’s speech, gait, vision, reproduction, or other motor functions. Common examples of catastrophic injury include the following:
- Severe Burns
- Limb Loss or Amputation
A catastrophic injury caused by another’s negligence can be devastating. The injured person’s life is changed forever. The injured person may experience mounting medical bills, loss of earning potential, inability to conduct routine activates, and strain on interpersonal relationships.
It is important to consult an experienced Tampa catastrophic injury attorney following a personal injury accident involving serious, catastrophic injuries. An experienced attorney will ensure your case his handled properly and you receive proper recover for your injuries.
Tampa Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Michael Germain of Germain Law Group, P.A. is an experienced personal injury attorney based in Tampa, Florida. He represents individuals who were seriously injured in any personal injury accident, including car, commercial truck, pedestrian, slip and fall, and dog attack accidents.
If you or your loved one experienced a catastrophic injury, like a blindness, severe burns, or amputation, contact the Tampa personal injury lawyers of Germain Law Group, P.A. at (813) 835-8888 to schedule a confidential review of your case.
Germain Law Group, P.A. represents clients throughout Florida, including Tampa, Temple Terrace, Plant City, Bay Crest Park, Hunters Green, and surrounding areas.
Florida Catastrophic Injury Information Center
- Tampa Claims for Catastrophic Injury
- Causes for Catastrophic Injury in Central Florida
- Florida Resources for Catastrophic Injuries
Florida Statute Title 45 Chapter 766 defines a catastrophic injury as a permanent impairment constituted by:
- Spinal cord injury involving severe paralysis of an arm, leg, or trunk
- Amputation of an arm, a hand, a foot, or a leg involving the effective loss of use of that appendage
- Severe brain or closed-head injury evidenced by severe sensory or motor disturbances
- Severe brain or closed-head injury evidenced by severe communication disturbances
- Severe brain or closed-head injury evidenced by severe complex integrated disturbances of cerebral function
- Severe brain or closed-head injury evidenced by severe episodic neurological disorders
- Second-degree or third-degree burns
- Total loss of vision
- Loss of reproductive organs which results in an inability to procreate
Catastrophic injuries occur in a number of ways and can occur at any time. Common events that lead to catastrophic injury include the following:
- Assault and Battery– Assault and battery occur frequently throughout the United States. Most commonly, individuals sustain catastrophic injuries during sport’s activities, other recreational events, or a physical attack by another person.
- Automobile or Car Accident-According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 225,608 injuries occurred in car accidents in 2014. While all of the injuries are not considered catastrophic, car accidents contribute to a significant percentage of catastrophic injuries in Florida.
- Commercial Truck Accident– According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were 10, 193 were injured in commercial truck accidents in 2014. While all of the injuries were not considered catastrophic, a high percentage of commercial trucking accident involves fatalities or catastrophic injury.
- Dog Bites or Dog Attacks– According to American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), 20 percent of dog bite victims required medical attention in 2013. While specific statistics are not available regarding catastrophic injuries, 47,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of a dog bite in the United States.
- Pedestrian Accidents-Pedestrian accidents or accidents involving a person and a motor vehicle have a great potential to result in death or catastrophic injury. According to the Florida Department of Transportation, 9,722 pedestrian accident victims required hospitalization in 2010.
- Slip and Fall Accidents-Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability accident, which occurs when an individual falls or otherwise injures him or herself on a sidewalk, home, store, or other location. Common catastrophic injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents include spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and head injuries.
Brain Injury Alliance of Florida (BIAF)- The BIAF is Florida’s only statewide non-profit organization dedicated to the education and advocacy of traumatic brain injury (TBI) survivors, family members, and caregivers. The BIAF provides in-person support, resource coordinators, and regular events to TBI victims.
1637 Metropolitan Blvd. Suite B
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
Phone: (850) 410-0103
Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center– The Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center (FSCIRC) works as a resource center for survivors of spinal cord injuries and their family and caregivers. The FSCIRC provides support groups, peer mentoring, and educational material.
Tampa General Rehabilitation Center
c/o Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center
6 Tampa General Circle-Room R212
Tallahassee, Florida 33606
Phone: (813) 844-4711
Germain Law Group, P.A. ǀ Hillsborough County Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
If you or your loved one has experienced a catastrophic injury, including spinal cord damage, traumatic brain injury, or limb amputation, it is imperative to consult the experienced personal injury attorneys of Germain Law Group, P.A..
With years of experience, the attorneys of Germain Law Group, P.A. will ensure your case is properly handled and appropriate recovery is obtained for your short-term and long-term needs following a catastrophic injury.
Germain Law Group, P.A. represents individuals who suffered a catastrophic injury in any type of accident, including a slip and fall, car accident, commercial vehicle accident, or motorcycle accident.
The Hillsborough County based Germain Law Group, P.A. represents individuals throughout Florida, including Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando, Citrus, Polk, Sumter Counties, and surrounding areas. Contact Germain Law Group, P.A. at (813) 835-8888 or submit an online form to schedule a confidential consultation.